Thursday 30 August 2012

Hello... this is ladies coach!

Let me admit it finally. Whenever I am with my mom or dad, I try to be over-smart. After all, I am a big girl now, and I can try showing off by being a bit boisterous as well. What's the harm in that? The harm... is it? Well, I realised it in a very embarrassing situation.

I was travelling with my mother from Connaught Place to Mayur Vihar in Delhi Metro. Ever since one of the coaches has been spared exclusively for women, I have proudly hopped into it. Who wants to stand amidst those sweaty men ready to grab an opportunity to grab you?

So well, we couldn't find a seat even in the ladies' coach and mum & me had to travel standing. It's fine with me, but after the day-long shopping, my mother was definitely tired. I was looking around to spot some nice kinda girl who would spare her seat for my mum. We anyway had 'only' 8 stations to travel.

Aha! I finally found someone interesting. A HE was sitting in the ladies' coach! It was not just an opportunity to grab a seat for mum, but I had also got a chance to show her my over-smartness. And yes, obviously, to fight for the right of all the women sitting in that coach. Like a hero, I cleared my throat, stood straight, raised my eyebrows... all set for the seat-battle. I was sure other women would soon join me in my fight to kick out this man from our coach.

Me: Bhaiyya, yeh ladies coach hai. (Hey brother, this is ladies coach.)

He: Haan toh? (So what?)

Me: Bhaiyya, ladies coach, ladies coach. Sirf ladkiyon ke liye hota hai. (Bro, ladies coach, ladies coach. It's only for women.)

He: Haan toh hum ladies hee toh hain. (Yes, so what's the issue? I am a woman only.)

Oops! big mistake!! What had I done! He was a she. All the women in the coach were staring at us... the same women who were to support me in kicking this 'her-like-him' out. I didn't know what to do. Where to look. With my face red, I started looking here and there. And everywhere, I found the same expression... eyes and lips trying to suffocate a smile. Every woman in that coach wanted to burst out laughing at me.

How could I have missed it? That 'she-cum-he' had an almost flat chest, wore a dirty black shirt, faded jeans and chappals. Without doubt, she looked like a he.

My stop was still 4 stations away. For a moment, I thought about getting down at the next one itself and looked at my mother. She had gone red. With experience I knew she could open her mouth only for laughter then. Her eyes were welling with tears in her attempt to stifle it. Had she continued looking at my horrified face, she would have rolled over in the coach itself. So I thought the better of it and looked away. There were just 3 more torturous stations left before mine came.

2 comments: