Friday 31 August 2012

Pappu CAN dance saala!


One of my worst fears has been dancing in public. I just can’t do it. Even if I practise steps at home when nobody’s watching, I don’t know what happens to me in front of others in a party.

I feel like the biggest loser. I look out for company in people who are standing at a corner like me. I grab a chair in the darkest corner possible and pretend to be a very interested spectator. I ensure I have a big smile on my face so that nobody thinks I am not dancing due to bad mood. In simple terms, I am scared... party dancing looks like my worst nightmare coming true.

Many people have tried teaching me how to dance. Some ask me to fix a bulb, some say imagine you are in your school’s PT class, some just tell: one two, one two. But nothing seems to have helped. At home I did try doing that bulb fixing thingy; in fact, I must admit that it looks very much like dancing. But then, how come I fix the bulb so stiffly while others have a natural grace?

I even watched ‘Main Hoon Na’ several times, especially the part where everyone is trying to teach Shahrukh Khan how to dance before their prom night. But the steps he is taught never figure anywhere in the final dance. I also got some inspiration from 'Left leg aage aage, right leg peeche peeche' from Rab ne Bana di Jodi, still no luck. My left leg and right leg get so confused with my left hand and right hand that I end up in a mess.

A lot of times I feel bad for those who try to teach me how to dance during parties. These are people who love me and want me to enjoy, but I have never been able to live up to their expectations. I know they also give up after a while. And I also know that somewhere deep down in their hearts, they murmur, 'dumbo, can't even dance.'

So I sat down one fine day and gave it a serious thought. Am I going to run from parties for the rest of my life? Will dance floors always remain my biggest fear? I came up with two solutions: one, continue this party-skipping spree; two, get over your fear. The first one was getting old, so I decided to give the second solution a chance, and joined hip-hop classes.
 
The following words are solely for those who have been able to relate to what I have said so far: Google the nearest dance class and join right now. I promise you are going to love it. The first time you will shake a leg with other people like you... people who too don’t know how to dance, you will automatically get that sense of achievement. Your body will start moving, you will start understanding the beats, your hands and legs will stop getting confused, and the most important thing: your confidence level will get a much-required boost!

There is no bigger satisfaction than winning over your fear. So if dance is your fear, I suggest you start grooving to the tunes right now!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome that you overcame your fear and have continued your classes!Keep that spirit going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shru... thanks for the encouragement. And obviously, I have to keep dancing, your sangeet is coming up na!!

      Delete